Building on our previous 2020 Strategy, IGNITE aims to strengthen our advantage through strategic business choices and fully integrated environmental, social and governance goals to drive Good Growth. With people at the center, the IGNITE strategy is focused on driving growth and delivering value for both shareholders and society.
IGNITE STRATEGY FINANCIAL GOALS
+2% to 4%
+25 to 50
as % of Sales
11% to 13%
Widen the funnel on how we deliver cost savings, leveraging technology and sustainability to generate fuel
Galvanize our people with a bolder, more inclusive workplace in which we simplify our operations, tap technology and move more quickly to drive growth.
Turn data into insights to build purpose-driven, personalized brands and deliver bigger, stickier innovation platforms while enhancing consumer shopping experiences — allowing us to better serve people.
Broaden our playing field in and around our core business, emphasizing consumer megatrends, and continue to lean in to enhanced wellness and natural personal care.
Be a leader in environmental sustainability, with a focus on plastic and other waste reduction and science-based climate action.
Plastic and Other Waste Goals:
- 50% combined reduction in virgin plastic and fiber packaging by 2030.
- 100% recyclable, reusable or compostable packaging by 2025.
- Double plastic PCR in packaging by 2030 (+50% by 2025).
- 100% global facilities zero waste to landfill by 2030 (plants by 2025).1
Climate Stewardship Goals:
- Set and achieve science-based targets to reduce greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions in our operations (Scope 1 and 2) and across our value chain (Scope 3).2
- 100% renewable electricity in the U.S. and Canada in 2021.
Help our consumers and employees through purpose-led choices that enhance well-being.
- Increase well-being (measure: number of our wellness-related product categories in U.S. homes).
- Enhance financial literacy to enable better planning and superior retirement readiness (measure: income replacement ratio).
- Set targets related to manager capabilities, working environment, and health and wellness outcomes.
- Maintain recordable incident rate of <1.0 with a comprehensive safety management effort striving for an injury-free workplace.
- Ensure gender and ethnic pay equity.
- Achieve gender and ethnic minority representation targets.
- Achieve inclusion index3 targets.
Be a leader in responsible product stewardship, with a focus on progressive actions to enhance our own and consumer packaged goods industry practices.
Product Advocacy Goals:
- Advance the science behind alternative approaches to animal testing, with the vision of eliminating EPA testing requirements for disinfecting products and replacing them with non-animal alternatives.
Ingredient Management Goals:
- Reduce the chemical footprint of cleaning products, with progress detailed through annual reporting.
- Share restricted substances list for domestic retail cleaning products.
Transparency Commitments Goals:
- Increase reach of SmartLabel tool and expand scope of consumer-meaningful information.
- Aggressively increase third-party product certifications.
Enhance our leadership in ESG through an unwavering commitment to strong corporate governance and ESG performance overseen by the board of directors.
- Tie executive compensation awards to select ESG goals.
PEOPLE AT THE CENTER
Putting people at the center of everything we do — a focus of our IGNITE strategy — was key in enabling us to serve our consumers and communities during the pandemic. In order for our teams to address unprecedented demand for our products, we needed to focus on their safety and well-being. We enhanced benefits for all our teammates, including a $1 million Employee Emergency Relief Fund covering incremental child care and medical expenses and an emergency time-off program to help parents navigate school closures and other absences related to COVID-19. At all our facilities worldwide, we rolled out enhanced infection prevention measures and offered increased pay and special incentives to our on-site teams who continued to make and ship our products during shelter-in-place orders. Based on survey results, 88% of employees felt their health and well-being were top priorities for the company.
- Where infrastructure allows.
- Will set science-based targets for GHG emissions in coordination with and to be approved by the SBT Initiative by October 2021.
- A composite score for a set of survey questions we ask our employees, benchmarked against industry and/or other norms.