GRI

Strategy 4

CUT WASTE TO FUEL GROWTH

Identifying ways to reduce waste in every aspect of our business so the savings can be reinvested to drive growth.

Photo courtesy SolarCity

Clorox tapped the power of renewable energy with its first solar
panel installation.

  • Through a partnership with a leading solar power company, Clorox tapped into renewable energy with solar panel installations beginning at a regional distribution center and planned for two plants. This initiative will help reduce overall greenhouse gas emissions and reduce our facilities’ electricity costs without any capital outlay.
  • The Glad® plant in Orangeville, Ontario, became the second Clorox plant to achieve zero waste-to-landfill status — part of a public target set by the company to reach 10 zero waste-to-landfill sites by 2020. This status means the facility recycles or repurposes at least 90 percent of its waste and sends the remaining 10 percent or less to a waste-to-energy facility; has virtually no recyclables in any waste container; and has passed an audit by the company’s environmental and sustainability team.
  • Our agile enterprise initiative drove growth through a 50 percent reduction in the time allotted for the innovation process, marketing strategy changes and packaging redesign improvements, while also helping us reallocate more than 130 people to growth initiatives for the next fiscal year.

PRIORITIES

Business

  • Drive an agile enterprise, eliminating low-value activity and simplifying our work.
  • Reduce costs through product cost innovation, supply chain network strategies and enterprise optimization programs.

Corporate Responsibility

  • Reduce the environmental impact of our operations and improve the sustainability of our upstream supply chain.
  • As part of its Futuro Limpio (“Clean Future”) project, Clorox Argentina supported the development of a responsible waste management cooperative that also offered fixed incomes and sustainable jobs to unemployed residents in the company’s Aldo Bonzi plant community who had started collecting and recycling materials during the country’s 2001 economic crisis and went on to become experts on waste management and environmental issues. The program began to provide training and education to promote recycling at company sites as well as within local communities that had lacked a collection infrastructure and already has yielded significant improvement in solid waste segregation, a notable reduction in volume of solid waste to landfill and an increase in solid waste migrated to recycling at our Argentina plants.
  • Enterprisewide initiatives, including lightweighting of charcoal briquets, renegotiated international ocean freight rates and a number of other administrative improvements, contributed to $109 million in cost savings.
  • Through a “Go Lean” strategy in International, which focuses on pricing maximization, cost savings, infrastructure right-sizing in our Australian and Latin American operations, and optimization of demand creation, we continued to identify ways to generate less volatile, more profitable growth.

A pilot project to improve water quality is being expanded after preliminary results showed that the presence of a new floating wetlands island reduced the level of total suspended solids by half.

  • As part of an innovative effort to create a sustainable ecosystem for better water quality, the Kingsford® charcoal plant in Belle, Missouri, tested whether a floating wetlands island could serve as a natural root filtration method in its recycling pond. Made of microbes and plants, the islands encourage microbial activity to reduce the level of total suspended solids, resulting in cleaner and healthier water discharge for aquatic life downstream. Following a 50 percent reduction in total suspended solids during the pilot project, the facility is planning additional islands, and they have the potential of becoming an option for water treatment at other Kingsford sites.